Little globes of sweetness explode with flavor as you shovel them by the handful into your mouth. Blueberries are undeniably delicious, whether they are raw or cooked in a heart-warming pie, they’re irresistible. I challenge anyone to turn down a humble blueberry!
And what’s even better is these happy-looking berries are good for us as well! So you are going to want to follow our guide on how to grow limitless blueberries of your own at home!
Health Benefits fo Blueberries
As mentioned, here is a list of the incredible health benefits these unassuming berries have:
- Low in calories and high in nutrients! For every 1 cup of blueberries, you’ll be receiving a whopping 3.6 grams of dietary fiber. As well as 24% of your recommended daily allowance of Vitamin C and 36 % of Vitamin K (1).
- Tons of antioxidants! These antioxidants help prevent cell damage and have even been proven in preventing the signs of aging (2)! That’s right; you can stay young and eat delicious food for the rest of your life. These antioxidants prevent damage to your DNA ( which causes aging), which can cause also cancer (3). This study tested the idea that by consuming blueberry juice every day you can reduce the effects of DNA damage by 20%!
- Prevents blood cholesterol damage.
- Blood pressure is reduced. This study shows a 4-6% lowering of blood pressure after patients consumed 50 grams of blueberries every day over a period of 8 weeks. Sounds great, doesn’t it?
- Improves brain function and memory due to the high amount of antioxidants!
For even more health benefits of blueberries watch the following video!
How to Grow Limitless Blueberries
We know you want to find out the secrets behind growing your own blueberry bush…well keep reading to find out!
Find the Perfect Spot
Much like other plants, blueberry bushes enjoy quite a lot of sunlight and good soil. The sunlight will allow your blueberry bush to carry out photosynthesis, which is essential in plant growth! The correct soil will also encourage photosynthesis and growth.
If you live in a home with a garden, then raised beds are a great idea! This will allow water to run throughout the soil, allowing a perfect amount of moisture for the bush to grow. If you live in an apartment, don’t worry! You can still effectively grow blueberries; you just need to purchase a patio container.
Give them Room
One bush will require up to 6 feet of space, so don’t push it into a cramped corner! Allow it to grow and expand naturally. If you plan on growing more than one, you’re going to want to leave around 2.5-3 feet between each one.
The Planting Process
Depending on where you live in the world will control when you should plant your blueberry bush. In most countries, spring is the optimal time to plant your bush as it will be ready to harvest come July or August!
If you are using a baby blueberry plant to get you going, then you are going to want to take it out of its bought packaging. Give the roots a little ruffle with your hands then place into prepared soil. You can then add more and more soil around the roots until it can stand up on its own.
Make sure to pat down the top layer of soil and then give your plant a good water. Always keep it hydrated!
The best form of mulch for blueberry bushes is sawdust(8) but pine bark, rind mulch, and grass clipping will all do just fine. Apply 2-4 inches onto the soil.
Pruning it Back
Once your bush starts growing, you are going to want to start pruning it. Research has shown that pruning allows ‘the strongest branches to grow the most vigorously, wherever they may be on the plant‘ (9). This allows for maximal fruit growth.
Just use a pair of small clippers or strong scissors and cut back some of the branches to encourage more berries to grow! Chop away any dead branches and remove any around the bottom of the bush.
This is one of the most important stage of growing your blueberry bush. You should always use organic fertilizers as the chemicals found in inorganic ones may damage you plant! They’re non-toxic, better for the environment and ensure you plant will remain fertilized for an extended period.
Try using Bloodmeal or Cottonseed to boost your plant’s growth, naturally.
Now, sit back, relax and watch your blueberry bush grow from day to day and before you know it, you’ll be using our blueberry syrup recipe as a great alternative to sugar! Go on, grow your own.
90% of people who completed this program lost over 12LBS in a week. Try it HERE or click the image above